ScionHealth, a new healthcare system focused on high-quality acute and post-acute hospital solutions, launched as a result of the successful transaction involving LifePoint Health and Kindred Healthcare. Headquartered in Louisville, ScionHealth consists of 79 hospital campuses in 25 states – 61 long-term acute care hospitals previously owned by Kindred, and 18 community hospital campuses and associated health systems previously owned by LifePoint.
The ScionHealth family of acute and post-acute hospitals are well-aligned operationally and strategically to deliver exceptional patient outcomes in local communities and serve as a strong platform for growth. ScionHealth’s leadership team is led by Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Rob Jay, formerly Executive Vice President of Integrated Operations at LifePoint.
“ScionHealth prioritizes outstanding patient care, quality outcomes, and a culture of inclusion and community engagement that supports and embraces our teams across all of our hospitals,” said Jay. “We are excited to combine the unique strengths of our community-based hospitals and our long-term acute care hospitals in order to serve patients where and when they need care.”
Jay continued, “We are committed to advancing innovative healthcare solutions, creating new jobs, and being a strong employer to the benefit of our patients, partners and communities here in Louisville and across our broader U.S. network. We will also strive to lead through actions that best serve the regions in which we deliver care and where our team members and patients reside.”
The new ScionHealth system is comprised of approximately 22,000 dedicated and compassionate employees working across community hospital campuses, long-term acute care hospitals, outpatient centers, sub-acute units, and behavioral health locations. The company has an extensive, and longstanding, network of partners across the healthcare continuum who share a commitment to advance access to high-quality care in local communities, and to implement innovative solutions to improve the patient experience. ScionHealth values and will continue to foster strong legacy collaborations –
previously established under LifePoint and Kindred – as well as to develop new, strategically aligned relationships with leading academic medical centers, expert service providers, and solution-driven community organizations.
The ScionHealth leadership team includes leaders previously from LifePoint as well as Kindred:
- Rob Jay, CEO. Jay previously served as Executive Vice President, Integrated Operations, LifePoint.
- Danny Brywczynski, Executive Vice President, Integrated Operations. Brywczynski most recently served as Vice President of Strategy and Innovation for LifePoint.
- Joel Day, Chief Financial Officer. Most recently, Day was Kindred’s Chief Financial Officer.
- Doug Curnutte, Chief Development Officer. Curnutte previously served as Kindred’s Chief Development Officer.
- Mike Warrington, President, Long Term Acute Care. Most recently, Warrington was President of Kindred’s Hospital Division.
- Robert Wampler, President, Short Term Acute Care. Wampler previously served as President of LifePoint’s Mountain Division.
- Lisa Estrada, General Counsel. Estrada previously served as Senior Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer for LifePoint.
- Jeffrey Jasnoff, Chief Human Resources Officer. Jasnoff was previously Chief Human Resources Officer for Kindred.
- Todd Flowers, Chief Financial Officer – Strategy, Support Services and Treasurer. Flowers previously served as Chief Financial Officer – Strategy, Support Services and Treasurer for Kindred.
In the transaction involving LifePoint and Kindred, and the related launch of ScionHealth, Barclays and Guggenheim Securities, LLC served as financial advisors to Kindred, and Debevoise & Plimpton LLP and Mintz Levin served as legal counsel to Kindred. Financing for the transaction was provided by Barclays, Citi, and RBC Capital Markets. Citi and RBC Capital Markets were financial advisors to LifePoint Health. Sidley Austin LLP and Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison served as legal counsel to LifePoint Health.